Recommendation 1.11 – Farm debt mediation
A national scheme of farm debt mediation should be enacted.
Recommendation 1.12 – Valuations of land
APRA should amend Prudential Standard APS 220 to:
- require that internal appraisals of the value of land taken or to be taken as security should be independent of loan origination, loan processing and loan decision processes; and
- provide for valuation of agricultural land in a manner that will recognise, to the extent possible:
– the likelihood of external events affecting its realisable value; and
– the time that may be taken to realise the land at a reasonable price affecting its realisable value.
Recommendation 1.13 – Charging default interest
The ABA should amend the Banking Code to provide that, while a declaration remains in force, banks will not charge default interest on loans secured by agricultural land in an area declared to be affected by drought or other natural disaster.
Recommendation 1.14 – Distressed agricultural loans
When dealing with distressed agricultural loans, banks should:
- ensure that those loans are managed by experienced agricultural bankers;
- offer farm debt mediation as soon as a loan is classified as distressed;
- manage every distressed loan on the footing that working out will be the best outcome for bank and borrower, and enforcement the worst;
- recognise that appointment of receivers or any other form of external administrator is a remedy of last resort; and
- cease charging default interest when there is no realistic prospect of recovering the amount charged.