Investors Cannot Claim Travel Expenses Relating to Rental Properties

The ATO has just announced that it has already identified 26,000 taxpayers who have claimed 2017/2018 deductions for travel to rental properties, despite recent changes to the law in this area. From 1 July 2017, investors cannot claim travel expenses relating to inspecting, maintaining or collecting rent for a residential rental property as deductions, unless they are carrying on a rental property business or are an excluded entity such as:

  • Corporate tax entities (companies, corporate limited partnerships, corporate unit trusts, and public trading trusts)
  • Superannuation plans that are not a Self-Managed Superannuation Fund (SMSF),
  • Public unit trusts
  • Managed investment trusts or
  • Unit trusts or partnerships, all of the members of which are entities of a type listed above.

The denial of travel expense deductions applies only to residential premises that are being used by the tenant as a place to live. It follows that deductions are still permitted for travel to:

  • Residential premises that you own that are being used by the tenant for business purposes (e.g. a house that has been re-fitted into a psychiatrist’s practice, doctor’s surgery etc.)
  • Mixed-use premises (e.g. where there is a convenience store downstairs and living quarters upstairs, but only for that part of the travel in relation to the convenience store)
  • Commercial premises (e.g. you are the landlord of a bakery or other commercial property).

Additionally, you can still claim a deduction for the cost of employing other parties to carry out tasks on your behalf (such as real estate agents for carrying out property management services such as inspections, or tradespeople for carrying out repairs). Indeed, where your travel expenses are significant, you may now wish to consider engaging the services of these other parties.

If you require professional advice regarding Rental Properties deductions, contact the friendly team at Hooper Accountants to on (07) 4637 9363 Toowoomba Office or (07) 4693 3148 Pittsworth Office.

Courtesy of My Tax Savers.

Learn More

Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!